Thursday, April 27, 2017

Some Days are Delightful.

Today was one of those really fun teacher days. It was my first full day with my new pencil sharpener. I'll have to dedicate another post to my love of small joys, but just know that having a pencil sharpener that produces perfectly sharp pencils is a beautiful thing. I say this to say that I wish I had known during my first years of teaching to really get to know the people in my building and appreciate the things they do for my students. One of our awesome building managers found me a pencil sharpener and installed it for me the same day I asked him about it. This may sound small, but it wasn't. And I am a happier person when I take time to truly enjoy these kind acts.

Later in the day, my students and I had the pleasure of hearing Bob Wittman talk about his writing and his adventures. It was fascinating, and we all got to get our books signed. It felt very college-like, and I'm so glad my students got to meet such a kind and interesting author. The librarians at my school are amazing, and they do more than I can describe to help my students love reading and prepare for life outside of high school. I wish I had known the first few years I was teaching how important it would be for me to know the resources available to me and my students. The knowledge these librarians possess has been a huge resource for me and my students. I wish I had known sooner that I could work with them to create meaningful experiences for my students--research lessons, book speed dating, and opportunities to meet authors. When you first start teaching, it can be really overwhelming. It conserves your energy to partner with the experts around you.

But the fun didn't end there. One of my favorite co-workers came to my room to have lunch with me today. Her shirt was so cute, I thought we should take a picture. So we did. Mandy is one of those amazing people that makes your day better by being around her. I can't say this strongly enough--one of the ways I survive a crazy day, month or year is by spending time with people that encourage me, can remind me to focus on things besides my job, and genuinely care about my well-being. I was very fortunate when I first started teaching. God gave me some great co-workers that were so patient with me while I really struggled with so many aspects of my job and my life in general. It's probably the only reason I made it through that first part of my teaching career. And I've found the same thing in my current gig.

After lunch there was class time, a parent meeting and a debate meeting, but before I left, I stopped by my friend's room to say goodbye. She graciously photographed me in front of the amazing wall declaring where her students and former students are going to school.

As we walked out, I was tired from a busy day, but happy to be reminded of all of the ways I am cared for while I care for my students. I know that may sound cheesy and like it came out of a Hallmark movie, but it's true. I don't say that to say that every day I feel that way. I don't. If you talked to my parents, they could easily tell you of days I call them crying or yelling about something that happened that I don't know how to handle. But the way I make it through days like that is trying to really soak in good days like today.

Okay--so on to today's wardrobe tip. My mom, for as long as I can remember, has been a big believer that one of the ways to build up a relevant wardrobe without going broke is to focus on classic pieces and then add a few noteworthy, trendy or statement pieces. After over a decade of dressing for a classroom, I have become a firm believer in this. This basic denim dress is my go-to for days when I'm not ready to surrender to jeans and a cardigan, but I'm way too close to Friday to put on a fitted dress. I feel like there are about a million ways to style a dress like this, and it transitions well between seasons. In the fall, I wore this with my riding boots, and today (sorry--no pictures of the shoes...), I wore some peep-toe booties. I bought this in the fall, so it's not around anymore, but here are two options: one from J Crew Factory and one from Gap. 

The necklace was one of those pieces I bought knowing it might not stay in style for long, but also knowing that I would love wearing it while I could. I bought it from Banana Republic with a 50% off coupon, and it was totally worth it. I've started buying jewelry from Banana when I can get it on sale because it seems to be sturdier than the things I bought at other places. I think it might save me money because I rarely have to replace these pieces of jewelry. I bought this necklace three or four years ago, so it's long gone, but here are some similar options. 
Once again--I emphasize that I tend to find jewelry I like and then wait for a sale. :) 

Okay--hope that helps. Goodnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment